Saturday 21 April 2012

Jennifer and Ken




I am travelling with Jennifer Jiang and her husband Ken. They have a small company called JKTeashop and I have been buying from them for almost a year. Jennifer got in touch after I posted a request in a web group for help in making contact with artisan producers in China.

We found that we had the same philosophy about identifying the best farmers and tea makers, and building close relationships with them over many years. She makes regular visits, particularly in spring, and she has arranged her schedule this year so that I can travel with her and see as many types of tea as possible.

Although we had chatted on skype and exchanged numerous emails, all I really knew about Jennifer before this trip was that she has a deep knowledge of tea, a fine appreciation of quality, and (shall we say) that 'she knows her own mind'. I received a few replies to questions last year that rather put me in my place, but I have no problem with that - there are some big gaps in my knowledge and I am keen to learn. And it was probably as much to do with her use of English as anything.

I now know that she is 29, charming, always wanting to learn more, and knows her own mind. She has built up her expertise over only six years,  which I think is due to her sheer love for tea, good advice from others,  empathy with tea producers and an insatiable appetite for knowledge.I have no doubt that she will go on to become one of China's great tea experts.




Ken is playing a supporting role on this trip, and focusing on photography, which is a big passion of his. He needs a rather large backpack just for his camera kit, but he really knows what he's doing and I am looking forward to seeing the results. Ken is fairly quiet but totally unflappable and makes everything happen. It was his idea to set up the business - they complement each other very well and I can see why it works.

They are easy to travel with and good company. One of the things I will remember from this trip is the abrupt announcement "let's go", coming suddenly and unexpectedly after meals and other breaks in the day. And I mean sudden - I have asked to be allowed to finish my tea on several occasions, and even had to stop writing notes mid-sentence. Oh, and Jennifer telling me to "take it easy" every time someone pours me a glass of beer. Fair enough.



1 comment:

  1. Very nice article, I enjoyed reading your post, very nice share, I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks!.
    jkteashop.com

    ReplyDelete